Monday, July 9, 2012

Pipe-Cleaner Mouse

When I'm bored, weird stuff starts to happen.  Like pipe-cleaner mice:

pipe-cleaner mouse sitting on my laptop
What website he could possibly be interested in, God only knows.
In other news, I've found a solution to my concerns about my laptop overheating.  And it didn't cost me a dime.  It did cost 9 pencils and some tape though...

Home-made laptop cooling board thing

Yes, I decorate things with stickers.
Amazing what you can do with random office supplies.

And finally, an update on the Tiger Swallowtail butterfly model:

Revised upper-wing coloration.
Lower-wing coloration.
You may be able to see that the blue spots now have dots instead of a smooth-shading gradient, which more accurately mimics the real butterfly's markings (at least I hope so).  This was achieved first by panting the areas to be speckled completely black, then going to Filter > Pixelate > Pointillize.  This gave me a layer of black dots on a white background, which I then set to "Multiply" mode and did some light erasing to create some variations and gradations.  I was very pleased with how it turned out.

And I apologize to any lepidopterists out there who might be puzzling over the gender of this butterfly based on the markings.  I started off with a male reference, but once it got to the underside of the wings, I was just looking for any photo with a good angle to draw from.

Earworm of the Day: Escalates by Falling Up

No comments:

Post a Comment