Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Bizarre Concept, Adorable Characters: the origin of the Jet Pack Penguins

I feel obligated to post something since I skipped out on updating Monday.

First of all, while I'm still on a digital art kick, I thought I'd revamp the title banner for Penguins with Jet Packs.  Full disclosure: the original (and as of this writing, current) banner for this blog is made from penguins pasted from a drawing I made in High School when I was going through a phase of "bizarre concept, adorable characters."

For your viewing pleasure, here are My Best Old Drawings, circa 2007:
Penguins with Jet Packs

Flying Pigs and Yellow Tulips

Elephant & Butterflies

Paradox's Den
As you can see, I was not a teen with much angst.  In fact, I think the ninja hamsters was about as dark as it got.

But yes, it's been 5 years.  I've had 3 college-level drawing classes since then.  I have a Wacom tablet now. It's time to update!

Don't worry, the penguins will still be there, they'll just be a little less...grainy.

Here is the base sketch for the new banner:
Noises like "zoom" and "whoosh" are encouraged.
Today I had stuff to do, like actual "be at x place at x time wearing a nice blouse" stuff to do.  Which is fantastic.  I love feeling like I'm getting something accomplished in the bigger scheme of things.  But it also means I have to put off completing the banner.  I hope to complete it tomorrow and have it ready to unveil on Friday.  I am setting that goal now to you, my readers.  So I better have it done.

Earworm of the Day:  Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex.  How did I get that one stuck in my head?  Blame The Nostalgia Chick.

2 comments: