Saturday, March 3, 2012

PSA Link Storm


Step 1 on my animation final this quarter.  It had to be a PSA.  I'm thinking of doing stop-motion paper cutouts so I can work at home.  I'm getting tired of sitting in front of the computer.  I want to make something a little more tangible (and a little less accidentally-erasable.  That's another lesson I reviewed recently).  More info about the featured invasive species can be found at The National Invasive Species Information Center.

I considered doing cain toads and rabbits too, but rabbits are in fact native to North America (though I've heard there quite invasive in Australia), and how do you animate the devastation caused by cain toads under a time limit?  Have a dog lick one and die with x's over the eyes?  That's some dark comedy people.  I think I'll stick to funny sound effects, thank you very much.

While researching for this animation, I also learned that starlings are sometimes kept as pets.  Let me just say that I have nothing against keeping starlings as pets, provided they stay that way.  In reality they're probably safer for your neighborhood wildlife than a pet cat.  Domestic cats can wreak havoc on delicate ecosystems (poor Stephens Island Wren).  It also turns out that starlings are capable of imitating human speech.  It's kind of creepy but cool at the same time.

Earworm of the Day: Remind Me Who I Am by Jason Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment