Monday, August 20, 2012

EY Dragon Profile Image

Got the picture of EY Dragon done.  Certainly it is one of the most girly pictures I have made since Flying Pigs and Yellow Tulips.
New profile image.
Honestly, I'm not happy with it.  I think I've stared at it too long or something.  Or maybe it's the composition that's askew.  Maybe it's the girly colors or the flowers.  Whatever the reason, I think I'll post it do my deviantART anyway and give it a month to grow on me.  It's worked before.

I was also going to speak of my latest archive-binge on Mark Watches: Avatar (it's great), and post a sketch-comic involving frying pans and alarm clocks, but I think I'll save that for later because I had a really... weird experience this weekend.

So, this weekend I was poking around deviantART looking for cool stuff and I got looking at fan-art of How to Train Your Dragon because I too am a fan of the movie (Toothless and Hiccup are both incredibly adorable/adorkable in their own ways).

Now, I myself don't make fan art.  None.  At all.  Zip.  The last character I probably ever drew that belonged to someone else was probably a pikachu.  And that was probably back in middle-school (which was about the time that I discovered the magical experience of creating original characters and building my own worlds around them.  How do fanfic writers live?)  However, I am still totally capable of admiring fanart by other people.

So I found a beautiful wallpaper of Toothless that someone made and I instantly added it to my "favorites" jar. I asked the artist if downloading a copy for use on my own desktop was allowed (still learning the rules of the internet art, always best to check) and he gave the thumbs-up.  So I did.  I had Toothless on my desktop background.

Then a weird thing happened; I felt bad about it.  The Toothless wallpaper just felt wrong being on my macbook screen.

Now I don't believe I actually did anything wrong, but it felt like I had.  Like I had crossed a personal moral horizon somehow.  And since I'm prone to analyzing my own behavior, I have several theories as to why I felt so bad about changing my desktop background that night.
  1. I decided to browse the rest of the fanartist's work.  Let's just say the "mature content filter" was blocking a lot.  And some of the remaining works had just enough for me to surmise that the blocked content was slash-fic.  Hiccup/Toothless slash-fic.  I just... um... wow... er... zax.  My vocabulary does not have words to fully convey what I felt at the revelation that a fellow artistic mind has gone there.  Anyone got a pint of brain-bleach on them?  Anyone?  Please???  Again, the wallpaper as a stand-alone piece is perfectly rated-G... but still.  It's the knowing.
  2. Overtones of idol-worship.  And I'm just speaking about my own heart here.  I actually stopped and asked myself "By making this image my wallpaper, am I putting the How to Train Your Dragon franchise on a pedestal where it doesn't belong?"  Having to ask that question in the first place was setting off red flags.
  3. My friend Kristen.  Practically since I got my laptop I have had one of my own artworks or original photographs as my desktop background.  Every time I showed a friend something on my laptop, that was the first thing they saw.  An "E.Y. Original".  Then one day I changed the background to an image of Earth that was in my computer's default background folders.  Kristen noticed.  She was instantly annoyed.  "You changed your background," she said accusingly.  "Yeah," I shrugged, "I decided it was time to change it."  "But it's not something you made." I was a bit surprised. "It matters?"  (note: that's the general gist of the conversation, not an actual transcript.)  Now I finally realize what she (might have) meant: I'm an artist, it's my laptop, and my desktop background is an expression of "me".  If it isn't wallpaper from my own hand, it has no business being there.
So Yeah, that one image of a nightfury flying joyously through a cloud of sparkles had left me with a totally guilty ick feeling.  It was totally irrational, but that's how I felt.  I turned off my computer, sat and analyzed what had happened for a bit, then went to bed, realizing I'd learned a little something about my identity as an artist.

The next morning I changed my wallpaper back to Bunny Field.

No comments:

Post a Comment