Friday, July 10, 2009

Cell Phone in the Silent Zone


I love the silent zone of the library. No distractions but the scratching of pencils. When I have peace and quiet, my brain can run at full speed. What takes me an hour in a noisy classroom takes me thirty minutes in the silent zone. It's so nice. Until of course someone's cell phone goes off.

From my experience, when a cell phone goes off in the silent zone it's like, I don't even know. Imagine a guy in a devil costume running down the center isle in the middle of a Sunday church service. There is nothing in the world that can stand out more. Then, who ever has the cell phone let's it ring loud and clear for three to four rings before picking it up and then--and I'm not being racist here, I am just stating an observation--half the time the person starts talking on the phone in some language besides English. In a normal conversation volume I might add. Normal conversation volume in the silent zone is almost as bad as a cell phone ringing in the silent zone. Maybe they need to translate the "quiet please" signs into mandarine chinese. Then again, the other half of the time it is an english speaker talking, so maybe people just need to stop and read. (Reading in a library, what a concept!)

So please, for the sake of the silent zone, if your cell phone goes off, catch it early, reject the call, go down stairs, then call them back. Us studious types would really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment