Monday, September 3, 2012

Digital Stickers

So there's this style of drawing/coloring characters, usually chibi versions of characters, that I've been noticing on deviantArt; it involves solid outlines, sharp two-toned shading, and often some sort of flat border around the whole thing to make it look like a sticker.  Often the coloring is textured or water-color-like in some way.  Examples of what I'm babbling about can be found here, here, and here.

Now I rarely attempt to emulate other people's styles.  Sure, I'll gradually incorporate specific techniques as I learn the reasons for them, but going all-out and trying to copy a complete style is not something I try very often.  And really I should because to copy a style one must first understand what goes into the style.  This requires a close examination of another person's artwork.  The end result is learning techniques that were too subtle to notice at first glance.  Coolness comes from the details.

You know how in art class, your teacher always made you stare at master works for, like, ten whole minutes trying to pick apart the color scheme.  Or made you re-draw a da Vinci sketch line-by line?  Or had you try to emulate any other artist's style. This. Is. Why.

I repeat: Coolness is derived from the details you never noticed.

And yes, I only just realized this yesterday.  My apologies; I will now end my rant.

But yeah, that style I mentioned?  I tried it out on Beth:

A sketch, a scanner, a high-texture piece of paper, and 2 1/2 hours in Photoshop.  Yup. 
Then I wondered what other characters I could do in this style.  So I drew Spitfire...

My roommate's scanner, have I complained about it enough?  I'm not sure I have.

... and I'm currently in the process of sticker-fying him too.  Maybe I'll be done tonight.  Hard to say.

Earworm of the Day: Shooting Star by Owl City which I listened to while drawing these two images.  Wait, does this mean... *Gasp* I'm turning into an Owl City fan!  Nooooooooooooo!

On second thought, I don't really think there's any way to make me more dorky than I already am... so... I'm immune by virtue of saturation!  That's possible, right?  Right?

1 comment:

  1. I got a question from someone about what I meant by "Digital Stickers". By that I simply meant that these are regular .PNG images made in a style that emulates the appearance of a sticker (white boarder, shadow effect for depth, transparency to give it a shape other than a box, etc.) Yes, I completely made this term up on the fly. Hopefully I didn't tread on any copyrights in the process.

    The above image and any more I make in this style are not physical objects (hence my use of the word "digital"). To be perfectly clear, I am not selling stickers. There are no stickers, only .PNG files that look like stickers. Those aren't for sale either. Apologies for any confusion this may have caused.

    ReplyDelete