Friday, January 8, 2010

Lots of Snow



We've got about 6-8 inches of snow accumulation on the ground right now. It is the second snow-day in a row for my brother. I'm glad my own classes haven't started yet. I have a feeling that Parkland wouldn't stop for a snow-day. Parkland doesn't stop for anything.

I want to hope, though, that the UPS truck doesn't stop for much either. This year to save money, I ordered my textbooks online through Barnes & Nobel. That was Tuesday. No books yet, but I'm crossing my fingers that the first might come today, if road conditions don't stop them that is. I just want my books before I have to use them. Maybe I should've ordered them on Monday... Have to say though, used books on the internet are dirt cheap, if you jump quick enough.

I've started reading another series called Warriors by Erin Hunter. It's a little below my reading level (Ok, so I should've picked this book up in 6th grade if I wanted it at reading level) but a good book is a good book. It's about feral cats who live in their own tribes. I won't ramble about the details. If you have any 6th or 7th graders you need to keep occupied (or a really bright 5th grader for that matter) Pick up this series. If the rest of the books are like the first one, then they're going to be good.

I was also poking around on hulu.com the other day and found a clip on the making of Avatar. If you know anything about motion capture and computer animation, or simply get as excited as I do about seeing what raw footage looks like before all the computer stuff is added, then watch this. Warning: it is 10 minutes long. What struck me as really cool... Well, they have these alien beasts-of-burden in the movie that are kind of like horses. People ride them and stuff, but one would assume that the animators completely added them in from scratch. Nope. The actors, decked out in their motion capture suits, were riding real live horses on set. Which is, by the way, inside a warehouse. With lots of expensive camera equipment. It's a wonder the horses didn't break something, but it makes for a believable performance so kudos to them.

One more weekend till school. I don't know whether to be happy or sigh in disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment