Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Nanobots

Every so often, my brain picks a particularly unusual trail of "what if's" and lands on an idea that would work well in a story.  On rare occasions I hit upon an idea that fills in several plot/world-building holes all in one go.

Today, that was nanobots

A typical interaction between Marvin and the scientists who want to study him.
Beth, of course, is not typically in the room.
Nanobots can explain about 5 things about Kenlilians without breaking a sweat.  Especially if they're self-replicating nanobots.  That being said, I'd have to do more research on the subject to see what kind of molecular-level wackiness is already possible.  You never know when truth becomes stranger than fiction.

Also, I just love drawing Beth making crazy facial expressions.  Her relatively recent redesign and a few different drawing classes at school have given me more tools to work with.  Perhaps the biggest for me now is cheek deformations.  Getting a bulge right up to the eye when a lip raises does wonders to bring a character out of the uncanny valley and into likable-talking-animal territory.  I've also been trying to do more with her ears.  Every little subtlety counts.

Earworm of the Day: Ok, I'll confess I still have last week's earworm stuck in my head because I'm using it on a project.  I'm not going to repeat myself, so have another nice earworm-free day.

No comments:

Post a Comment