Friday, October 21, 2011

In-fossa-ble?

Screencap of the skull modeling setup in Maya.
I've been busily working on modeling a fossa skull.  A fossa is a predatory animal from Madagascar that might be related to the mongoose (citation Wikipedia, so I'm not 100% sure of the mongoose thing, but it's sure not a cat).

The image I got off Wikipedia looked like it was a cued up to model from.  I soon discovered it wasn't.  I had to do a slight resizing on the separate components in photoshop to ensure all angles were at the same scale.  That, And I'm reasonably sure the image is a drawing rather than a photograph, though I'm not positive.  It is inarguably in perspective, which means the image of the underside of the skull and the image of the top are hopelessly misaligned.

Thankfully the human brain is not a computer, and is therefore able to make best guesses and fudge things if need be.  And who really looks at a fossa skull that often?  (Aside from those with a zoology degree and an interest in Madagascan wildlife.)

Earworm for the day:  Hold Your Colour by Pendulum (I was coloring something very psychedelic today, so it got stuck.)

No comments:

Post a Comment